recipes : Mayan Chocolate Bundt Cake
The cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne make it Mayan. The milk, butter and cocoa simply make it delicious.
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cake: Butter a 10-cup (2.5 L) Bundt pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients, whisking until smooth (the batter is liquidy).
Scrape into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 min or until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 20 min. Invert cake onto a rack set over a baking sheet to cool completely.
Glaze: Whisk together cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Whisk in milk and corn syrup. Whisking continuously, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, whisking occasionally, for 30 sec until thickened. Whisk in vanilla.
Pour over top of cake, letting excess drip down sides. Let cool.
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Total dairy's Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla