recipes : CARAMEL AND SEA SALT CUPCAKES
Thether for special occasions or an everyday treat, these cupcakes will put a smile on your face. Don't forget to set aside a bit of caramel: it's great on toast or even by the spoonful.
DirectionsIn a medium-sized saucepan, combine the water, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes without stirring until the mixture becomes amber in colour. Remove from heat and pour in the heated cream in a stream while stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth; the mixture will come to a vigorous boil. Add the butter. Pour into a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Add the sea salt.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°F). Place paper liners in a muffin pan or grease the cups.
In a bowl, combine the flour and the baking powder. Set aside. In
another bowl, whisk the butter and caramel together until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time until smooth. Incorporate the dry ingredients in 2 batches alternating with the milk and vanilla; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Divide the mixture among the cups and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
Beat the butter. Gradually add the powdered sugar and the rest of the ingredients until the mixture is creamy. Ice the cupcakes using a piping bag. Just before serving, drizzle a bit of caramel over top.
The small amount of left-over caramel will be delicious on toast or poached pears or by the spoonful. It will keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) 35% Cream, heated
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted Butter, in cubes
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250) prepared caramel
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Total Dairy's Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract